Re: Lehigh Valley 4-Bay Hopper

ford.donald77

Tim
The wheel base and the side height is different.  The hoppers are orientated all facing to the center were as the H21a is a saw tooth arrangement.  the hopper doors are a corrugated style I think call Apex.  The model has a poor three bumps facing in the wrong direction to simulate this.  The hopper doors are the hardest thing to model.  I tried but was not successful. I was working with the builders photo (ACF)
Chuck
what did you sue for hopper doors on your models?
Don Ford
Cameron MO

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019, 10:59:28 AM CDT, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

We have indeed discussed the Hobbyline model in the past - it even has cutouts
underneath to clear the wheels.

Because it is such a mediocre model, I wonder if a stand-in is not a better choice?

For example, could a Bowser H25 have the ribs sanded/filed off and then re-ribbed to
resemble the Lehigh Valley car?

Tim O'Connor

On 10/8/2019 9:08 AM, Benjamin Hom wrote:

Scott Seders asked:
"Is the Hobbyline model the best starting point for this LV hopper?
I wanted to be certain there isn’t a better model (injection molded plastic or resin) available that I am overlooking."

Yes.  It's the ONLY starting point available in HO scale.  Make sure you don't get one of these models that was reboxed by Lionel HO - it's the same model, but will likely command a premium from the seller just because it's Lionel, even if it's a basket case.  These are easily identified by heat-stamped lettering.  Otherwise, you can still get these models at reasonable prices.

Ben Hom

Sterling, Massachusetts