Re: Lehigh Valley 4-Bay Hopper

James E Kubanick

There was an article and drawings for these cars and the composite version in the August 1997, page 80, issue of RMC by Chuck Yungkurth. I also have a photo, from Bob's Photos of Reading 70056. It appears that both cars can be built from the Hobbyline model as I can detect only minor differences on the RDG car. I am attempting to build both now from Hobbyline cars that I obtained from a train show some years ago for $1 each.

I did build one of the LV versions some time ago and am satisfied with the results although I am now aware of some mistakes which I will correct on this build. So, I do agree with Ben that the Hobbyline car is the best starting point for the LV build and I can add that you also have an opportunity to use it to build another anthracite road car from it.

Jim Kubanick
Morgantown WV

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019, 4:05:01 PM EDT, Chuck Cover <chuck.cover@...> wrote:

RE:  what did you use for hopper doors on your models?

Don,

I used Bowser H21 Wine door locks and the hopper door angles were 3/64” styrene. These two details are the most visible from the sides of the model. I did little else with underbody details as the car is meant to be an operating model on my PRR’s Shamokin Branch Layout.  I did do the end brake detail and the grabs because they were so visible.

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM