Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Fidelity Bowser 40’ boxcars (Linde Tank Car)

Dave Parker

At least through the 1920a and 30s, the MCB/ARA lettering standards did not require a LD LMT stencil on tank cars, only the LT WT and CAPY stencils.  I have seen a LD LMT on a few tank cars, but it was not part of the Standard Practice.

As to whether "most" tank cars would be sporting a reweigh stencil (as opposed to the original light weight), I think this has to be era-dependent.  For 1934, almost all my tank cars have the original, factory-applied light weight, as most of them are <20 years old, and some are <10.

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA