Re: Photo: Painting A Boxcar On The RIP Track

Lowell Dorman

The action in the photo is pretty well documented in Glen Guerra's excellent article on painting railroad cars in the first issue of O Scale Resource magazine. It's a free, online publication you can access at oscaleresource.com. Go to back issues and download the PDF issue #1.
Lowell Dorman

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 8:55 AM Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:
Don,

What is he doing then? 

You speculate that this is not painting but fail to give us any viable alternative. You also assume that the temperature is below freezing, when it could well be above freezing. I've spent many a lovely day skiing with temps in the 40s and 50s. At those temps, paint could be formulated to function. Indeed, at this same time, the PRR had different formulations of paint based on the season that contained different ratios of components such as Japan Dryer. For a blow-your-mind kind of a moment, these ingredients had an effect on the perceived color of the paint, and therefore it is likely that the as-painted color of the car varied with what season it was painted in 😉

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Donald B. Valentine via Groups.Io <riverman_vt=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, October 13, 2019 6:53 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Painting A Boxcar On The RIP Track

The snow makes me really wonder if this is a paint scene or something totally different
as I find it hard to believe that anyone would be trying to paint in a temperature that is below
freezing. Even modern stains will not provide what is desired in such weather.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.