Re: Photo: Painting A Boxcar On The RIP Track (Weathering Models)

Bob Chaparro

As I segue into weathering, Bruce Smith mentioned the use of Japan Drier as an additive for painting prototype cars. In the hobby world such additives also have applications for weathering.

Artists oil paints can be used for weathering but these dry very slowly. The slow drying time also is a major complaint from modelers who don't want to wait days or even a week to work on their models.

To speed-up the drying time of artists' oil paints, professional artists use additives. Japan Drier is one:

https://www.sunnysidecorp.com/product.php?p=t&b=s&n=72416

White Courtrai Drier is another and this is what I use:

http://tinyurl.com/yae6bu7h

I still have a lot of working time even with a drying agent but my projects usually are dry in just a few of hours.

These additives are available in art supply stores, Michaels and Hobby Lobby.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA