Re: Photo: Painting A Boxcar On The RIP Track

Doug Paasch

Not only that, if you zoom in on the guy doing the painting, you can see the brown paint all over his gloves, sleeves, and jacket.

Doug Paasch

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bruce Smith
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2019 3:56 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Painting A Boxcar On The RIP Track

Don,

I hope that you can appreciate that there are a lot of things that you have never seen that still manage to exist ;)

Thank you for the alternative explanation of sand blasting, and it has merit, but I do not think that it is correct. Here is the full sized image (clicked the link on the top right of the photo)

A careful look will show you that there is a stream of something exiting the tip of the pipe. Now, I’ll admit that it could be abrasive media, but I doubt it. The material appears to be the same color as the very, very freshly painted car side to the left of the worker, whereas to the right of the worker is a small amount of already prepped car side. In addition, there is no accumulation of any sort of abrasive material on the ground under the car.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

On Oct 14, 2019, at 3:30 PM, Donald B. Valentine via Groups.Io <riverman_vt@...> wrote:

Hello Bruce,

    There is no speculation involved here at all. To me the man is NOT spray painting. Look hard at the equipment being

used. Have your or anyone else ever seen a spray gun with a nozzle at the end of a pipe some 8 to 10 feet long? I have

not. Anything is possible but we have a piece of equipment at one place I work that look almost exactly like what it seen

in the photo but it is a sand blast unit, not a sprat paint unit. Having a Doctorate in Inorganic Chemistry I have spoken

with Bill Aldrich about h the photo. He feels it "could" be a paint system but seriously questions its use outdoors in

weather cold enough to have snow on the ground. It would require well thinned paint and good pressure to keep the

paint particles for precipitating from whatever medium they were carried in and questions how long one could paint like

this without things plugging up badly as soon as the flow was shut off. It is too bad I cannpt enlarge the photo to get a

better view of it but It is going to take at least that to convince me this is not a sandblast rig very similar to the one I

am familiar with.