Re: Suggestions For Wire Load Ties

Jack Mullen

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 09:28 AM, Dave Parker wrote:
I think the answer depends on what diameter wire you are trying to simulate (presumably in HO scale?).
Late steam era AAR loading requirements specify two strands of #7 wire, 3 strands of #8,  4 of #9, or 6 of #11, twisted taut. #7 ASW ga. is .177" dia, or .002" in HO.
40 AWG magnet wire, .0032" dia,  is the smallest I see in a quick search online. A 2 oz. spool for less than $10 plus shipping will give you over 4000', enough for everyone at the Chicago RPM to do a few cars. ;^)   As mentioned earlier, monofilament is available in similarly small diameters, but I don't see how you'd be able to twist the strands together.
Jack Mullen