Re: Suggestions For Wire Load Ties

Nelson Moyer

I haven’t actually done wire tie-downs, just the 1/64 in. chart tape and chain on log loads. I’m getting four FM-11 flat cars from Jerry Hamsmith in Lisle, and I’ll need loads for them, so I’ll let you know how I did the wire after I do it. A jig sounds like it could work, just put two applicator sticks in a vise the same distance apart as opposite stake pockets, make a loop of wire and twist it by using a short piece of toothpick inserted at the center of the wire loop, which is basically what the prototype does. Magnet wire will hold its shape when twisted, so I would make the twisted loop a little shorter than the stake pocket space to be sure to have tension when installed.

I hadn’t thought about steel strap dates, but I assumed it was in use in the 1950s. Maybe I need to look at some photos taken in that decade. I probably won’t worry about clamps. I don’t build contest models any more.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Betz
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 6:04 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Suggestions For Wire Load Ties

Nelson/any one,

The magnet wire certainly allows you to get scale size (close enough).

Since it is not the correct color what methods have you used - successfully - to
change the color?  I'm thinking either an acrylic paint (wash?) or something
like Blacken-It.
  How did you twist it to get uniform twisting?  The tie downs were actually
different sizes of steel cable and that was produced in the factory.  I'm guessing
you can build a twisting jig that is similar to what they use at the factory to
produce evenly twisted cable ...

https://atlantic-cable.com/Article/WireRope/nmachine.jpg

What would you use to do the cable clamps of the style that can be seen here

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line-3-8-in-Galvanized-Cable-Clamp-2-Pack-GD-12253/205894139

I do not remember ever seeing parts like this in HO.

One thing - I suspect that flat "cable" (banding) was not -commonly- used in the STMFC era.
I remember using steel banding to tie up pallets of cases of salmon in the early 60's but I
don't remember seeing anything other than cable for heavy loads.  Wrong about the dates?

- Jim in Burlington 

At least one option for clamps is to simply not try to do them ... ?

Scanned by McAfee and confirmed virus-free.

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.