Re: Suggestions For Wire Load Ties

Dennis Storzek

A few rambling thoughts on strapping vs. banding vs. wire...

Are banding and strapping the same? I think not. Banding is the general term for a much older product, which was soft mild steel. Back in my formative years, during the seventies I worked as a construction carpenter on several poured-in-place concrete buildings. We always had a roll of "band iron" for use in situations where form ties just wouldn't work. This was thin mild steel, and the "band puller" was a foot long handle with a hinged jaw at the end. You nailed down one end of the band and threaded the other through the puller, which was hooked around a corner and the handle used to apply leverage. The other end of the band was then nailed down. Two nails were enough; where the nail pierced the metal became a stress concentrator and the band would break at the hole before the nails would pull out. I still have my band puller in the garage somewhere, but I haven't had anything to pull with it in the last forty five years.

Modern steel strapping is semi hard high tensile steel. You won't be driving nails through that. The beauty of the Signode system and those that came after is the design of the buckle and the tool that deforms the buckle and both layers of strapping where they overlap. Tension is provided with another tool that grasps both layers of strapping and pulls one over the other, then the crimp through the buckle keeps them from sliding back

Wire (round steel wire, not cable) was the traditional tension tie because it could be installed with minimal tools. The wire, or multiple strands of wire, were looped around the pair of stakes and either spliced to themselves or both ends fastened to the same stake. A bar or pipe could then be inserted in the loop, and the wires twisted together. The more they were twisted, the shorter they became, pulling the stakes together and developing tension between them. The bar or pipe was then secured so the wires could not untwist. Simple and effective.

Dennis  Storzek