Re: SOO Line prewar 50 foot double door box car

Dennis Storzek

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 09:37 AM, mopacfirst wrote:
So the one thing I'm curious about, that I don't recall from the Soo book (mine is packed),is what prompted the center-door design?
As far as I know, while the cars were marked "AUTOMOBILE" because the AAR lettering standards said they were supposed to be, the cars were actually built for paper loading. The paper mills liked the big door openings for loading rolls of newsprint, and staggered doors were of no advantage. Within the next fifteen years (in the future for this discussion group) the standard boxcar on the Soo was a fifty foot car with a 10' plug door, which suited the paper mills just fine.

Dennis Storzek