Re: is "hogging" a correct word for adjusting truss rod equipped cars

Charles Peck

I believe that "hogging" would be exactly the correct usage. I have worked on paddlewheel steamboats that had what were called "hog chains" for exactly that same purpose, to take out the sag.
If an empty car is given a slight rise in the middle (a hog back), then when loaded it will flatten out.  Loose truss rods allow the car to sag, the opposite 
of hogged. 
Chuck Peck

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 8:55 PM Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:

Off-list, I used the phrase “hogging the car by tightening the truss rods”.  A fellow questioned the word choice, and so I thought I’d ask this group whether they have seen the word used in this context?  What is the correct railroad phrase for the notion of tightening truss rods on a wood frame car so the frame is in tension and has appropriate resistance to the weight of a load?


Rob Kirkham 


Join to automatically receive all group messages.