From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Garth Groff
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2019 1:28 PM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] P&LE Gondola

Friends,

Some years ago I copied this photo from a government document, probably a War Department / Army Transportation Corps manual. I believe it was on US military railroads in WWII, but can't remember the particulars. Never mind.

What is interesting is the P&LE 46' drop-end gondola with a steel floor. This is from series 42000-42999, of which there were still 45 in service in 1958, along with 25 more of nearly identical dimensions in series 45000-46999. Cool car.

Also of interest are the two crates, probably from the guard, filled with military gear. Who says double-stacks are a modern invention.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff