Re: is "hogging" a correct word for adjusting truss rod equipped cars

Charlie Vlk

All-

The attached image, although of a baggage car truss rod underframe, shows a camber intentionally built into the unloaded frame.   The second image shows the car loaded up with railroad wheels, straightening it out.  I don’t know if cars were normally built with some camber in the frame but I suspect that they were but perhaps not as extreme for just the wood superstructure and anticipated normal loading for a baggage car.  The truss rods might have been tightened during normal car construction to keep things true and the process not noted anywhere because it was such common practice.

These photos are from the Aurora (Illinois) Shops Test Lab photo album at the Newberry Library Burlington Archives and date from 1903.

Charlie Vlk