Re: Swift paint scheme

Steve and Barb Hile

We have puzzled over this one, too.  Besides the Steam Era Website photo, I ran into it on Wiki site, too.

Here's my  two cents worth.  It would certainly appear that everything on the car end, from the fascia down to the end sill is the same color, presumably dark (freight car red), based on the lighter (white) lettering.

If you then look around the car corner, into the shadowed side of the car, the items that wrap around the corner, such as the facial and the corner strap are all darker in the shadow side.  So, I will assume that the whole car side is dark and the lettering is white, and not an optical illusion.

The 12000 series cars (with, apparently, fish belly underframes) are noted as being renumbered into the 40000 series as a footnote in the January 1925 ORER.  I understand that Swift had contracted with Quaker to do this conversion, which led to GAT's involvement, as it purchased Quaker later in the late 1920's.  So, that puts some upper date limit on the photo.

Other theories are most welcome.

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Townsend via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 9:06 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Swift paint scheme

I my on-going research into the Swift & Co. freight car fleet, I have found this photo: http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/gallery/reefer/srlx12824main.html

I am in a quandary about its paint scheme. At first look the car appears to have dark sides with light lettering. Perhaps like the bright red cars with white lettering that included the large banner "Swift" to the right of the door. But the lettering on this car is the same style as used on Swift reefers two paint schemes before the all red sides.

On closer examination, I think there may be an optical illusion at work here. Notice the reporting marks and car number on the side. They appear to grade into a dark color. So I'm thinking the "lightness" of the lettering might just be an artifact of how the light is reflecting off the (glossy) paint used for the lettering. It might just be a yellow-sided car with black lettering.

What says the throbbing brain of the RealSTMFC group?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.