Re: Swift paint scheme

Dennis Storzek

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 08:30 PM, Steve and Barb Hile wrote:
If you then look around the car corner, into the shadowed side of the car, the items that wrap around the corner, such as the facial and the corner strap are all darker in the shadow side.  So, I will assume that the whole car side is dark and the lettering is white, and not an optical illusion.
There is one argument against this theory; there IS black (or at least dark) lettering on the car side. Look just to the left of the third from the bottom grab that makes the side ladder, and you will see the top line of the dimensional data as light colored lettering. The next couple lines are missing as the lettering morphs to a graytone that matches the side, then the bottom two lines are faintly visible as dark lettering. Same with the reporting marks, the top line (or bar) and SRLX appear light, the number is missing, but then the bottom line appears dark.

I think we are being fooled by a photo taken on orthchromatic film, which typically turns yellows very dark. I am very familiar with photos of Soo Line reefers that appear to have absolutely no lettering other than the $ herald; the black lettering and yellow side are both rendered as the same graytine. Looking at the subject photo, both the side fascia and side sill appear slight;y darker than the sidem which would be consistent with FCR fascia, yellow side, and black underframe.

How to explain the apparent white lettering on the side? It is possible that glossier black paint is reflecting sunlight. This brings to mind a question; was Swift using glass beads in their lettering? The technique was relatively popular during the thirties and forties, to give a surface that would reflect auto headlights at grade crossings, sort of a precursor to Scotchlite.  The beads were typically applied to fresh stencil paste because it stayed sticky long enough to grab them and bond them to the car. Car Builder's Cycs of the era have ads for the glass beads, the trade name escapes me at the moment.

Dennis Storzek