Re: Swift paint scheme

Bruce Smith

Dennis, Folks,

I’ve definitely seen orthochromatic photos in the early WWII era. On particular example I can recall discussing here many years ago was a string of UTLX tank cars on a WWII B&O oil train that appeared to be undecorated as the yellow lettering was interpreted by the film to the be the same as the black body paint.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Oct 30, 2019, at 4:47 PM, Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 02:14 PM, Douglas Harding wrote:
But I struggle with that being the explanation for the photo in question of 12624, which has very visible white lettering on the sides and ends. Nor does it explain the 1952 photo from Pittsburgh that shows what appears to be a red car with white lettering coupled to a yellow car with black lettering.

I agree the dark car in the 1952 photo is likely an early version of the bright red scheme, using the old style lettering and lacking the white fascia of the later cars. What it doesn't have is any indication of black lettering on the car sides, which the 12624 has. I'm still convinced that is a yellow car and the film is fooling us. I wonder when orthchromatic film was last used? I have several examples of images of cars built in the mid twenties that exhibit the color shift unique to that film. It apparently continued in use for large format industrial photography after the introduction of panchromatic film because it was prized for its fine grain and good contrast. As to availability, it's likely still available is anyone is still supplying film for photostat copy cameras.

Dennis Storzek