Re: Boxcar With Roof Hatches

Charlie Vlk

Could be for hauling dried processed sewage from the IC subsidiary Illinois Northern which could get it from the Metropolitan Sanitary District of Chicago.   The MSDC had their own dump cars which presumably hauled the wet “product” to dumps on the IN and there, after drying, it was further processed.   I know you could get dump truck loads of the stuff delivered in the Chicago area; don’t know if it was bagged and shipped elsewhere or if it was shipped bulk without packaging out of the area.

Charlie Vlk

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jeffrey White
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2019 11:31 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Boxcar With Roof Hatches

The IC had fertilizer sludge cars (I have no idea what fertilizer sludge is) they converted from SS boxcars they acquired from the Tennessee Coal and Iron Railroad.  I haven't got a photo but the diagram sheet says 4 roof hatches and plywood lining.

Jeff White

Alma, IL

On 10/30/2019 9:16 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Bob

A quick scan of the hard drive shows ACL, ATSF, BAR, BN, CN, CG, CP, D&H, DTI, EL, GN,
HS, LV, MILW, MONON, MP, N&W, NS, OAR, PC, PRR, RI, SAL, SCL, SOU, TH&B, UP, and WABASH
all had box cars with roof hatches.

And that's not a complete list. Tony mentioned the SP, too.

Tim

On 10/30/2019 5:51 PM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io wrote:

Boxcar With Roof Hatches

I've seen a few photos of boxcars with roof hatches for loading such commodities as aluminum dross, cement, various clays, lime and spent grain.

All of the photos I've seen are associated with shippers in the Southeast and Midwest.

Would such boxcars have served shippers in the Southwest to any degree?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts