Re: OMI 1930-built GATC 10,000 Gal double dome tank car

Tim O'Connor

Bruce and Fred

Since Tom Marsh lived in Indiana, he may have been out one day and saw NIPX 8
a tank car owned by the Indiana Public Service utility and decided to measure it.

I suspect it had an earlier life (1930's) and the Overland brass image represents
it late in life. I agree with Bruce it's an extremely rare type of car, and the
model may even represent a unique prototype.

I've attached another much more modern insulated 2-dome photo to show there was
more than one of the type :-)

On 11/4/2019 8:56 AM, Bruce Smith wrote:
Fred,

This model appears to be OMI #3230, and has been discussed a number of times on this list. Some brief observations. First, two-compartment tank cars are rare. Two compartment insulated tank cars, such as this, are vanishingly rare. Two compartment, 10K, GATC built insulated cars? This car may represent a single car with a history that is difficult to trace. If you go back to post #135461, you will get the history of this model. Richard Hendrickson indicated that he had NEVER seen a photo of a GATC 10K insulated two-compartment tank in revenue service. That's not promising for this model. Second, if it is the model I think it is, good luck actually getting it to run (made by Cheyenne, China, not Ajin, Korea). The couplers are significantly over height and there is no easy fix for that. I am told that the trucks interfere with the underbody rigging and that the trucks are grossly too wide.

Is it correct for your era? Yes, probably.

Appropriate paint and lettering? Nobody knows (that's the good news) so maybe just use the Black Cat GATX decals, and paint it black and number it in the GATX two compartment series.

I would consider an alternative, which is to sell it and get a useful model 😉

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL