Re: OMI 1930-built double dome tank car

WILLIAM PARDIE

Overland produced many fine pieces of rolling stock many of which I am proud to have in my collection.  Some of their tank cars gave me reason to question them.  They produced a three dome model which years ago I finished as a ULTX car.
I was pleased with the model until several years ago when I purchased a Tangent three dome car.  The Tangent car looked like an N scale model next to the Overland car.  I found some drawings in Mailine Modeler which were smaller than the Overland car.

I also had a problem with their 10,000 gallon car which had a rather large platform on each end of the car.  Searched and searched but none found a prototype photo of this car.  Again Mainline modeler had a drawing that exactly matched the
 Overland car.  Possibly Overland used this drawing in producing the car.

My only other disappointment was a Texas & Pacific caboose which was 6' too short.  This car was replaced with a Hallmark model that was correct.

These disappointments are avery small percentage of the many fine models that they produced.  I recently rounded out my collection with the purchase of an Overland E-1 diesel originally done for the City Of San Francisco.  Overland also produced the version that SP converted to the Daylight scheme with the big number boards. Very pleased with this model.

Bill Pardie

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 11/4/19 1:20 PM (GMT-10:00)
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] OMI 1930-built double dome tank car

Bruce Smith wrote:

I was quoting the man… I can find no subsequent change of that sentiment, and it is clear from Richard’s comments that he was not involved in the design of this car.

You are right that Richard had nothing to do with model design and was less than happy about what eventually came from OMI.
      At one point he pulled out his prints of all the photos he had sent to OMI. I had a few of those cars, and he had others, which we then looked at. I don't have any doubts of his connection as at least a source of info for OMI.

Tony Thompson

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.