Re: PM Box loading with ground corn cobs.

Lloyd Keyser

The Quaker Oats plant in Cedar Rapids, IA in the 40's into the 60's consumed six to eight car loads of cobs a day and processed them obtaining a chemical named Furfural. The cob residue, a very fine powder, was blown into IC covered hoppers for delivery for use in plastics. The covered hoppers were converted in company shops in 1950 and 51, numbers 81750-81752, by modifying three bay coal hoppers. The sides were increased in height and a roof added containing a small vent at the diagonal corners of the roof. In the center of the increased height was a two piece door which opened and a large plate secured with dogs. A flexible pipe was attached to blow the fine power into each end of the car. The hopper doors were modified for unloading the powder. As farming technology improved the corn pickers shelled the corn as it was picked dropping the cobs on the ground along with the stocks and plowed under for next years planting. As the availability of cobs declined the processed was modified to using oat hulls which was the byproduct of making cereal.
I am modeling the loading platform and kit bashing two hoppers for loading. I have the IC diagram sheet which gives enough detail to accomplish this. What I lack is a good side view  for creating the decals. I have been unsuccessful in obtaining this picture. They are not in the IC archives. Can anyone help?

Lloyd Keyser