Re: Gould/Tichy Tank Car (was Re: [RealSTMFC] OMI 1930-built double dome tank car)

Dennis Storzek

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 10:31 AM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
In this case, it wasn't the fact that we were still learning about the prototype, but more obstinate and willful disregarding of the facts.

To give Bill Gould his due, the fact that the drawings showed a car with a four course tank is what made the project possible in the first place, because the four course tank made it possible to do as a 'flat kit', which is what Gould wanted to do. This all transpired a little before my time in the industry, but I wonder if the discussion ever got to the point where the experts were told, "I need a four course tank. Find me a prototype with a four course tank that has decent drawings available, and I'll do that instead." I think we all forget just how hard it was to get accurate information AND DRAWINGS back in those days. Even Irv Athearn boned up big time while following "Real railroad drawings" as the ads used to say.

Dennis Storzek