Re: OMI 1930-built GATC 10,000 Gal double dome tank car

Tim O'Connor

Nice model. :-)

Folks discussed those Overland cars years ago on STMFC and elsewhere. The conclusion
has always been that Marsh just "made up" those two particular cars. They would have been
ok if he'd used SMALLER domes. Unlike the 3230 model we've been talking about - which does
have a prototype, if an exceptionally uncommon one - those two look kinda ridiculous.

Tim O'Connor

On 11/5/2019 7:40 PM, brianleppert@... wrote:
Here's my Overland tank car.  Friend Jerry Spoelma painted and weathered it.  I had asked for an appearance of having carried something awful and nasty.  Couldn't find those NITX reporting marks in any of my ORERs so guessed the best I could.  The model, OMI-3230, was built by Ajin.

I have doubts about the accuracy of some of Overland's tank cars.  For instance, three of their earliest tank imports were ACF single, double and triple dome cars.  The label on my single dome model says 8,000 gallon, but it is the same size as InterMountain's 10,000 gallon.  All three models used the same underframe and tank size.  I suspect the double and triple dome tanks are bogus.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts