Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 11:20 AM
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] OMI 1930-built double dome tank car

Claus;

Looking at:  A tank farm FULL of 103's....

The twins look like ACF-built 4-course ICC 103 8ks with dome platforms, quad spaced tank bands, and single raised dome vents.  Carmer cut levers!  I like the unusual clean-out arrangement on the end.  I suppose you unbolted it and swung it away on that hinge.  Look like a kit-bash of a Tichy kit?

Yes, Carnegie-Illinois Steel.  USS Clairton By-Products plant tank farm.  This is at Clairton, PA (actually Wilson), upriver from Pgh on west bank of the Mon.

This plant produced things like benzol, xylol, toluol, and of course other coal tar by-products like cresols ( think creosote), plus the clean-outs, make me think these are tar cars.

The car coupled to 507, looks like an acid car, 103B, maybe, with those appliances up top.  That dome is really unusual.  I just have never seen one like this.  I'd love to have a close-up of that car.

I also like the one behind and right of the cab of 507, with dome platforms on all sides and ends of the dome.  There are a few like that in the ACF book.

Also, that triple to far right.....

Elden Gatwood

From: Tony Thompson <tony@... <mailto:tony@...> > <mailto:tony@...
Date: 11/4/19 1:20 PM (GMT-10:00)
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>  <mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Bruce Smith wrote:

I was quoting the man… I can find no subsequent change of that sentiment, and it is clear from Richard’s comments that he was not involved in the design of this car.

     You are right that Richard had nothing to do with model design and was less than happy about what eventually came from OMI.
      At one point he pulled out his prints of all the photos he had sent to OMI. I had a few of those cars, and he had others, which we then looked at. I don't have any doubts of his connection as at least a source of info for OMI.

Tony Thompson
tony@... <mailto:tony@...>  <mailto:tony@...>

Sterling, Massachusetts