Re: OMI 1930-built double dome tank car

Tim O'Connor

Good picture. And a bunch more on that web page!!

https://www.lakestatesarchive.org/keyword/tankcar/

On 11/7/2019 12:24 AM, Richard Townsend via Groups.Io wrote:

Here's a light colored (silver?) one, without any obvious markings:

https://www.lakestatesarchive.org/Ed-Wilkommen-Collection/Freight-Cars/i-KVcTQg9/A

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve and Barb Hile <shile@...>
To: main <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Nov 6, 2019 8:26 pm
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] OMI 1930-built double dome tank car

We have been away for a few days, so this is a bit late to the party.  But, let me say that the Mainline Modeler UTLX 10,000 gallon tank car drawings seem to match pretty closely to a UTLX drawn general arrangement drawing for cars built in 1930 by UTLX with tanks provided by ACF.  The 10,000 gallon cars were numbered 27146-27324.  For reasons that I can't explain, perhaps related to the tanks being slightly different from the UTLX standard, this batch of X-3 cars had underframes that were 15 inches longer that the UTLX standard X-3 design.

As Tony often says, a few more details are in the UTLX book...

Richard Hendrickson provided a copy of this UTLX drawing to me, and probably to Bob Hundman, as well, as its basic dimensions followed into the MM drawing and then, apparently into the Overland model.

After Richard passed away, I was very glad to purchase his Overland model from his estate.  It has been painted and numbered into the above series, and I am proud to own it.

Steve Hile

From: Tony Thompson <tony@...>
Date: 11/4/19 1:20 PM (GMT-10:00)

Bruce Smith wrote:

I was quoting the man… I can find no subsequent change of that sentiment, and it is clear from Richard’s comments that he was not involved in the design of this car.

     You are right that Richard had nothing to do with model design and was less than happy about what eventually came from OMI.
      At one point he pulled out his prints of all the photos he had sent to OMI. I had a few of those cars, and he had others, which we then looked at. I don't have any doubts of his connection as at least a source of info for OMI.

Tony Thompson

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts