Re: covered hopper grays take 2

Tony Thompson

Jim Mischke wrote:

I can hop and stomp around about accurate railroad colors with the best of them.  Yet there are times when an color offset is called for, in light of basement illumination, pun intended.  We seek a believable illusion, sometimes prototype colors fall short.   Black, white, and gray are particularly vulnerable to ambient light and scale effects.

    Full agreement, Jim. My own bugaboo is Pullman Green or SP-UP Dark Olive Green. In indoor layout conditions, they approach black. I have experimented with ways to lighten them so the models will look like prototype photos taken in sunlight. Not sure I'm succeeding, so far.

Tony Thompson