Re: From Lake States Archives photo

Dennis Storzek

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 07:14 AM, Bob Webber wrote:
This is the closest I found to that car (in the photo):
Steel End 500 1920 Lot 5209 CCM Co. Gondola

HB-9682-36-72
Could be... That lot of Clarkson Coal Mining cars were built as composite cars (steel frame, wood sheathing). The entire lot of 500 cars went to the Soo Line in 1927, who rebuilt them with nine panel steel sides in 1951. The Soo Line freightcar book by Soroos states "...were rebuilt in 1951 with fixed ends as well as steel sides and floor." The fixed end comment makes no sense as they were obviously built with fixed ends, and the ends don't show in the picture of the rebuilt car, so can't tell if the ends were replaced or not. Either way, after spending the money to rebuild the cars in 1951, I don't see the Soo selling them off before the end of our period of interest, but I don't have a disposition date. The book states 94 still on the roster in 1961, so some may have escaped into continued service for in-plant moves.  The Soo number series was 63801-64799, (odd).

Dennis Storzek