Re: Nalco Weed Sprayer and tank cars

Jack Mullen

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 09:42 PM, Doug Forbes wrote:
Therefore, I am looking for suggestions on which type of boxcar would be a good starting point for a kitbash of the NALCO sprayer.  Does anyone recognize the corrugation patterns on the end?
5 corrugations in a panel so the cars were originally USRA boxcars with 5/5/5 Murphy ends. The ends were widened when the cars were rebuilt with steel sides, so the originals were single sheathed. The middle panel of the end, (mostly removed to form the large windows) is taller than the top or bottom sections, so the car's height was increased by adding a strip in the middle rather than at the top of the end. They received Hutchins radial roofs in the rebuild.
C&O had a fairly large group of USRA SS boxcars rebuilt in the '30s iirc with Youngstown sides, Hutchins roofs and additional height added in the middle panel of the end, so I bet those were the source of Nalco's cars.
It appears that Sunshine made a kit for the C&O rebuilds.

Jack Mullen