Re: Tri-Sorb snubbers on reefers

np328

    Paul, I presented several years ago at Chicago and CCB RPMs about the usage of reefers and in winter they were busiest. January, February saw about 100 percent usage in AAR notes I found and used as a basis for the presentation following reefer loading bi-monthly for 1956-57.

     I'll attach the image and the yellow areas are where they definitely needed to be used (in protective service) to keep things like canned goods, pharmaceuticals, and other items safe. The red areas are where crops were ripening and ready for transit, and the orange areas are where potatoes were being shipped, more or less as a year round commodity. If potatoes freeze they get mealy. Potatoes I found were more or less shipped year round and if a person does not know what else to waybill on a reefer, potatoes is a safe bet.

      Oh wait, here is a list I put in the files some time ago: https://realstmfc.groups.io/g/main/files/Perishable%20Commodities,%20definition%20and%20list%20of
John Hile uploaded these:https://realstmfc.groups.io/g/main/files/P%20P%20Tariff%2013%20Rule%2036.pdf   Item 1140 (Florist stock - ferns) a few pages down is more common than you would think load coming east on the NP in reefers. How often when you see bouquets of flowers, do you see ferns used to accent the bunch?
      Note in either of these lists, all the items preceded by the numeral 1, items that need to be protected against cold or heat. Or the number 3, items that needed to be protected against cold. And if a commodity that needed to be protected were loaded in the yellow area or destined for the yellow area, it would have been placed in a reefer.  How often do we see this modeled or model it?
     Here is another upload by John:   https://realstmfc.groups.io/g/main/files/P%20P%20Tariff%2013%20Section%206.pdf

     OK, after one presentation, someone came up to me and stated only, "However I don't model winter." I'm not sure why they thought that was pertinent however, lets follow up on it.
     Reefers according to all the data I have ever seen were some of the top earners on the rails. They also were bought on bonds (borrowed cash) that had to be paid off. And standing still made no money. They make money (per mile) when they are moving unloaded or loaded and the most when loaded. However we have talked about that here before.
    So they make money in when in protected service and when fruits and vegetables ripen and need to be shipped.  What do they do the rest of the year?   The 3 for 1 keeps them moving.

    The three for one substitution here" https://realstmfc.groups.io/g/main/files/Refrigerator%20Cars%20for%20Box%20Cars     John Barry was kind enough to roll eleven pages into one pdf at the bottom.  The 3 for 1 or 2 for 1 (simplified) means for the price of one boxcar you can get up to two or three reefers.  As we have talked about it here before, it is meant to get reefers home, with a load if possible.
        So does that increase or decrease the odds of seeing reefers in a train consist, (generally speaking)?  I'd think it increases the chances.

        And the links above by myself or John Hile give a broad list of commodities to model.  I think John's is better. A boxcar of canned goods to a food wholesaler or two reefers of the same canned goods? With the substitution allowance either is perfectly plausible.

 I started the above mentioned presentation with the thought - Do I have too many reefers? I still wonder however using some in protected service or under the 3 for 1 rule, it is not a crisis.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Jim Dick - St. Paul