Re: Swift paint scheme

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Friends,

For what is worth to this discussion, Kodak Verichrome Safety Film, an orthochromatic film was available from 1931-1956. Kodak's panchromatic Panatomic X was introduced in 1933, and their panchromatic Super-XX was introduced in 1940 (later morphed into Tri-X). Given their dominance in the U.S. market, most of the films used in the steam era were likely to be Kodak, especially among amateur photographers.

There point of the above paragraph is that there was considerable overlap between orthochromatic and panchromatic films, so one cannot date a photo simply on whether it was shot with ortho or pan films during our period of interest.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 5:48 PM Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 02:14 PM, Douglas Harding wrote:

But I struggle with that being the explanation for the photo in question of 12624, which has very visible white lettering on the sides and ends. Nor does it explain the 1952 photo from Pittsburgh that shows what appears to be a red car with white lettering coupled to a yellow car with black lettering.

I agree the dark car in the 1952 photo is likely an early version of the bright red scheme, using the old style lettering and lacking the white fascia of the later cars. What it doesn't have is any indication of black lettering on the car sides, which the 12624 has. I'm still convinced that is a yellow car and the film is fooling us. I wonder when orthchromatic film was last used? I have several examples of images of cars built in the mid twenties that exhibit the color shift unique to that film. It apparently continued in use for large format industrial photography after the introduction of panchromatic film because it was prized for its fine grain and good contrast. As to availability, it's likely still available is anyone is still supplying film for photostat copy cameras.

Dennis Storzek