Re: Boxcar With Roof Hatches

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Tim and Friends,

Add WP to your list. By 1940 some of their double-sheathed boxcars from series 16001-18500 were renumbered to series 26001-26125 and were assigned to bulk plaster service out of Gerlach, Nevada. The earliest references I have to the roof hatches is in the 1949 ORER, with 20 cars having four hatches, and 15 having just two, from a total of 122 cars. By 1958 the fleet was down to just 24 cars, with just two having four hatches, and one having two. I presume the rest of the class were loaded through their main doors with some sort of "grain door" arrangement to keep the plaster from leaking out. Where these cars went from Gerlach is still a mystery to me, but I would be surprised if they operated of WP rails, unless they were turned over to UP or D&RGW for unloading in the Salt Lake City area.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 10:15 PM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:
Bob

A quick scan of the hard drive shows ACL, ATSF, BAR, BN, CN, CG, CP, D&H, DTI, EL, GN,
HS, LV, MILW, MONON, MP, N&W, NS, OAR, PC, PRR, RI, SAL, SCL, SOU, TH&B, UP, and WABASH
all had box cars with roof hatches.

And that's not a complete list. Tony mentioned the SP, too.

Tim

On 10/30/2019 5:51 PM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io wrote:

Boxcar With Roof Hatches

I've seen a few photos of boxcars with roof hatches for loading such commodities as aluminum dross, cement, various clays, lime and spent grain.

All of the photos I've seen are associated with shippers in the Southeast and Midwest.

Would such boxcars have served shippers in the Southwest to any degree?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts