Re: Nalco Weed Sprayer and tank cars

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Doug,

From your photo, it looks like this car originally had 5-5-5 ends, which suggest the base was a USRA boxcar. If so, easy-peasy. You have lots of choices.

FWIIW, RMC had plans for a similar car many years ago, and probably a construction article as well. I don't know which issue it appeared in, but the plans themselves and a photo are found on page 60 of ROLLING STOCK PLAN BOOK (2nd ed) edited by Hal Castens. This is a different car with wood-sheathed ends, but the details of the sprayer nozzles may be of use to you.

Some plans were pretty crude in those days, but both RMC and MR had good construction articles, largely using wood. Their articles can still yield nice models today, and are easily adaptable to styrene. Sometimes I think we have come to depend too much on kitbashing the excellent resin and state-of-the-art modern plastic models from China. The old techniques are fun, and I have enjoyed them while building the English-pattern O-scale narrow gauge cars and locomotives that are my current main interest.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 12:12 AM Doug Forbes <dforbes@...> wrote:
I am looking for help in potentially modeling this Nalco weed sprayer train that was running on the C&EI in 1959 as photographed by J. Parker Lamb.  I am looking for ideas on a good HO scale starting box car to modify into the weed sprayer as well as who might have owned the tank cars (I think Nalco owned them from other research I found) what would be good starting models for them as well.  I'm looking for any guesses or hunches or commentary you might have.
Thanks to all!

Attachments: