Re: Square brake staffs

Sam Reynolds

I checked the Micheals and Hobby Lobby websites, and they both carry Beadalon square German style artistic wire. Michaels carries 20 and 22 gauge silver plated, copper/brass core wire. Hobby Lobby carries the 20 gauge wire. Per the Beadalon website (http://www.beadalon.com/) the 20 gauge wire measures 0.032 inch and the 22 gauge wire measures 0.025 inch. I checked the Beadalon website for the line of artistic wire they produce, and their 24 gauge square wire measures 0.020 inch. A package of 10 meters of their square, 24 gauge Stainless Steel Wrapping Wire cost $7.49. They also list packages of 4 meter lengths of their square, 24 gauge German style wire in antique brass, tarnish resistant brass, and silver plated for $7.49. I'd be interested in hearing from others on the list whether the 24 gauge wire is still too big for making the square brake shafts, especially given the length of square wire that would be used.

Sam Reynolds