Swift and California Fruit Transportation Company

Richard Townsend

A 1906 Railway Gazette article I read says Swift & Co. bought theĀ California Fruit Transportation Company, which had gotten into financial trouble after tangling with a big fruit shipper in California. Does anyone have any information on this company and its cars. At one point it owned over 600 reefers.

I also read that Swift owned three refrigerator car lines. I assume the Swift Refrigerator Transportation Company was one of the three, and perhaps theĀ California Fruit Transportation Company was another. Does anyone have any information on any other reefer line owned by Swift?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR