Re: Date of Change in NYC Painting Practice (was Intermountain kits)

Richard Hendrickson

John Nehric wrote:

PS - I had thought it was copper oxide that made the Pullman Green, too, but
Arthur Dubin in Kalmbach's Pullman Painting Guide said that Pullman combined
the yellow of rural dirt with the black of the industrial areas to make the
color....
Rural dirt yellow and industrial black make Pullman Green? I wonder where
Dubin came up with that notion, which I find seriously lacking in
credibility. Copper oxide pigment was what the Santa Fe used to make the
olive green (somewhat lighter than Pullman Green) they used on passenger
cars, and it seems reasonable to me that the Santa Fe was following common
industry practice in this regard.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520