Re: Revenue Divisions Between Railroads

Alex Huff

Doug,
I should have been more clear when I wrote "Chicago was another gateway".  Chicago was another gateway between the Eastern and Western Territories.  Divisions were an arcane example of the importance of the the "paper" side of railroading.  MIGN hired an experienced divisions clerk who had worked for the GTW.  Her seniority district was limited to two floors and part of a third in the GTW General Office building.  One of MIGN's lesser interchanges was at Boyne Falls, MI with the Boyne City Railway.  Originally the Boyne City, Gaylord & Alpena, it connected with both the PRR and Michigan Central (NYC).  As an originator of a considerable amount of lumber traffic, the BCG&A was able to negotiate a 50/50 split on the total Eastern Territory revenue.  That was still in place when MIGN came into existence.  Fortunately for MIGN, the Boyne City Railway was effectively out of the freight business and we only interchanged a few carloads of inbound government surplus food.  I remember a carload of frozen turkeys.
Alex Huff