Re: Photo: Tank Car With Full Hand Railings

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

Notice that in the color shot, the knuckle of the visible coupler has been removed. Of course, those archbar truvks are long illegal for interchange. The brake cylinder appears to be a KD style. Back when I was a kid, there was another isolated tank car at the small yard office a couple of miles from my home. I can't remember if they pulled the rail behind it, but the knuckles were also missing on it as well. When the yard was removed (probably in the 90's) I would have to guess that the car was scrapped in place. The car was there to fuel the six switchers that were assigned to that line. Sanding of the units was done by hand. On this car, in the first shot, I noticed that the knuckle on the other end was slotted for a link and pin attachment, which tells you how old this car was. You cannot see it from this angle. I cannot say for sure, but I would guess that the missing knuckle was "borrowed" by a crew that experienced a cracked knuckle on their train.

Bill DanielsĀ
Santa Rosa, CA

On Sunday, November 17, 2019, 12:56:10 PM PST, Dean Kinzley via Groups.Io <dean.kinzley@...> wrote:

Thanks for this and thanks too for the pointer to the Hoboken Shore Railroad, which was new to me.
Dean

On Sunday, November 17, 2019, 01:59:24 PM EST, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: Tank Car With Full Hand Railings

A 1955 photo from Riley Triggs' Port of New York blog:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CZsX-F4jSe0/VQeUHnm9mJI/AAAAAAAAESQ/iUKe53LG-zQ/s1600/Roster%2Bat%2BGeneral%2BFoods.jpg

There are no markings on the car so perhaps it is in company service.

The photo is from the collection of Tim Stuy.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA