Re: Wedge Plow Blades

Nelson Moyer

Getting the compound parabolic curve right would be a challenge. Much easier for a person skilled with SketchUp to import photos and create a drawing suitable for 3D printing. The blades were mounted differently between roads and for gondolas vs. flat cars, but a standard blade should work for several roads. Hopefully, someone will be intrigued enough to investigate the possibilities for 3D printing. I’d be happy to share my photos of the CB&Q version.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of mark_landgraf via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2019 11:27 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Wedge Plow Blades

After looking thru a bunch of freight guides, Milw had some very similar plows. These appear to have about a 6-7 foot front radius and about a 2-3 foot radius at the exit. Milw drawings are available at the Milw Public Library.

The Russell wedge plows seem to be using the same math as above, but it is certainly mounted differently.

If i had to make one of these, I would start with piece of doweling placed in the lathe and cut to the correct dimensions and rate of taper. Sand it smooth and coat it with graphite. Then using 10-20 thou styrene and a heat gun I'd get the basic curved shape. Make two pieces. You'll need to cut the mating line on a compound miter. I figure I'd need to make 3-4 attempts before before I'd get the correct relationship. Then trim up the edges. Good luck.

Mark

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 10:59 PM, mark_landgraf via Groups.Io

I was hoping somebody would say Milwaukee or Rock Island or MoPac or CNW.

Mark

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 10:44 PM, Nelson Moyer

<npmoyer@...> wrote:

GN had identical blades as far as I can determine. Maybe the GN faithful will confirm that assertion?

Nelson Moyer