Truck Color

Nelson Moyer

About ten years ago I built a large number of assorted boxcars, hoppers, gondolas, and flat cars for many roads, all from Branchline, Intermountain, Red Caboose, and P2K kits. At the time, I was clueless about truck color, so all of the trucks are black. Now that I realize that one color doesn’t fit all roads, I need to know the truck color for all of these cars, i.e. black or boxcar red. Is there a table of roads and truck colors anywhere? I can only afford so many color books, and I can’t be an expert on multiple roads. After ten years, I’m just now getting comfortable with CB&Q practice. To simplify my question, which roads painted trucks boxcar red? I’m modeling 1953, so that limits the range to wood DS and SS boxcars, 1932, 1937, and PS-1 boxcars, and misc. hoppers, gondolas and flat cars appropriate for my era.

Nelson Moyer