Re: tank car UTLX 45622 while on the Western Maryland

Steve and Barb Hile

I will agree with Mike, with one small exception.  Cars in this series did have heaters.  The pairs of rivets along the lower half of the tank sides are a clue, confirmed in the 1952 UTLX listing.

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Schleigh Mike via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2019 8:49 AM
To: STMFC; main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] tank car UTLX 45622 while on the Western Maryland

Hello Group!

UTLX 45622 appears in the 1955 Tank Car Tariff with 7900 gallons capacity and a 207 gallon dome; a simple tanker with no heater.  Further, to me, it seems a near-dead-on match for the Tangent General American 1917-Design 8000 gallon Tank Car 19005-01 model.  Only the KC brakes and the trucks on the model are different.

Regards from Grove City, Penna----Mike Schleigh

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 09:11:24 AM EST, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

In the image linked below, we get a view of tank car UTLX 45622 while on the Western Maryland

Some extra image data can be seen at the link below...

Note the image is mirror reversed.

I'm not a tank car expert, but I suspect this particular car was built to a GATX design - am I correct?

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund