Re: Truck Color

Nelson Moyer

The road differences for mineral red aren't great for newly painted cars, but sun bleaching and paint oxidation lighten the paint so that it can take on an oxide shade. Then there's mineral brown used by the ATSF in early years, which is distinctly browner than red. Probably the best article on freight car paint colors was published in Volume 3 of Railroad Prototype Cyclopedia. That article contains a table of freight car color families as related to paints available at the time of publication. Unfortunately Floquil isn't still available, but most others are still available. I've been happy using Tru Color, which is color matched to railroad paint chips. If you don't like Tru Color (it has it's issues), you can buy a bottle of the freight car color you want and color match it with your favorite paints. As many have observed, base color will be altered with weathering, so color and shade variation aren't all that important in practice.

Nelson Moyer

-----Original Message-----
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill Lugg
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2019 10:37 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Truck Color

Then what I'm getting out of this is that, beyond color drift between batches, mineral red for one road is likely going to be different than mineral read for another, right?

Thanks for the responses, they help a bit with my flat car project.

Bill Lugg

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.