Re: Erie 78500 series boxcars

Schleigh Mike

Hello Brian & Group!

In the several responses to Brian's two inquiries about ERIE boxcar painting practices, I believe his basic question has not been resolved, that is:  what would be the color of the repainted ends on the 1940 built 78500-78999 XM cars in the mid-1950s?

From my collection I found no help (yet) from boxcar lettering drawings.  Only the stenciling and monogram are referenced with no mention of 'body' color.  This is not the case for other drawings.

Several photos in my collection from even the mid to late 1940s suggest that the ends were being repainted in the FCR of the body.  However, new cars were being delivered in the mid-1950s with the black ends.  It would appear that any boxcar repainted by the RR did not receive black ends.  My own (late 1950s and beyond) experience viewing cars on the hometown ERIE did not present black ends at all but photo examples can be found after the 1960 E-L merger.

I believe this question has been addressed in the past by the ELRHS but I am not presently able to review that  in back issues of their Diamond but perhaps others have the pertinent ERIE documentation.  For your your needs you would be very safe going with FCR ends on any ERIE boxcar repainted before your late-1950s modeling era.

Regards from Grove City, Penna, where winter is returning......Mike Schleigh

On Saturday, November 23, 2019, 02:58:28 PM EST, Brian Carlson via Groups.Io <prrk41361@...> wrote:

Does anyone have a mid 1950 photo of the Erie 78500-78999!cars. Working on a model and trying to determine if the ends were repainted brown or black.

Brian J. Carlson