Re: Photo: Chalk Marks On Boxcar

Dennis Storzek

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 11:39 AM, Richard Townsend wrote:
As long as we're wondering, I wonder what the little hooks under the left-most two side panels are for.
For hanging a water bag to drip on an overheated journal (hotbox) to nurse it along until the car can be set out. The Q was a big proponent of this, even having them over tender trucks.

As to the prominent chalk marks, someone was using the car side as a chalk board, likely counting piles of something on a loading dock. They may not even have anything to do with a load that was ever in this car.

Dennis Storzek