Re: Photos: Salt Lake, Garfield & Western Railway Boxcar 108

mel perry

i'm looking at.the pic, and i'm not seeing
what you are, the upper panel, is an
"outie", look at the corners, where the
short indents are, they are on the same
plane as the main ribs
mel perry

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019, 10:05 AM Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:
Bob and Friends,

No idea who built SLG&W 108, but the car is rather unusual. The upper end panel is a reverse/indented/innie/whatever stamping, while the lower panel is a typical Dreadnaught "outie". I've never seen a mix like this before, but it might give us an idea of from where the car came. There can't have been too many cars built or rebuilt like this.

The car is obviously not in interchange service, since dimensional lettering is lacking on the right end of the car side.  My October 1958 ORER says the SLG&W owned three boxcars, two tank cars, one flat car, and seven passenger cars, with the added note, "Freight cars owned are not employed in commercial service."

Here's the Wikipedia article on the SLG&W: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Lake,_Garfield_and_Western_Railway . Interesting that boxcar 100 had been used to haul hides, and survives on the Heber Valley Railroad (the Heber Valley RR web site does not list any freight cars). Perhaps that was how the other boxcars were used as well, but that's "commerical service", even if restricted.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 11:40 AM Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photos: Salt Lake, Garfield & Western Railway Boxcar 108

Three photos of the same boxcar from the Lakes States Archives:

https://www.lakestatesarchive.org/Ed-Wilkommen-Collection/Freight-Cars/i-fgKGH6F/A

https://www.lakestatesarchive.org/Ed-Wilkommen-Collection/Freight-Cars/i-5bXDpNN/A

https://www.lakestatesarchive.org/Ed-Wilkommen-Collection/Freight-Cars/i-DHcTBSC/A

Does anyone know who the car builder was?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA