Re: Photo: Alaska RR Flat Car 12812 With Load

Tim O'Connor

There's an excellent shot of ARR 12889 in the Vancouver online collection. Built by THRALL.
I don't think many 50 ton 53'6" flat cars were still being built at this late date. The series
was 12800 to 12898 in 1965. Strangely I can find no ORER entry for the Alaska prior to 1965.
Anyone know whether the ARR is listed, and where can it be found?

On 12/7/2019 1:49 PM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io wrote:

Photo: Alaska RR Flat Car 12812 With Load

Photo from the Sherman Stebbins Collection:

https://www.alaskarails.org/historical2/Stebbins/Flatbed-cargo.jpg

Caption:

"Fish-belly flat ARR 12812 most likely being loaded in Whittier. The photo is after October 1958 the build date of the flat car. I suggest it is during the Whittier cleanup after the military left and turned the property over to the Alaska Railroad. There were over one hundred old travel trailers and house trailers abandoned in Whittier. They were brought in in the early 50's to house civilian and military families during construction of the Hodge Building and other facilities."

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts