Re: IC 50 foot box car (was Photo: Bad Stencil Job)

Jeffrey White

Tim.

IC 34990 -34999 were originally automobile cars with 10 foot doors. They had Hutchins all steel roofs and Murphy ends. They had the Aux door closed and 50 ton trucks applied in 1954 and were assigned to hide loading service. This left them with 6 foot doors that weren't staggered. The car diagram says no metal panels.

5 cars were still in service on 1 January 1960. The IC 1960 equipment list shows 34 more identical cars numbered 34866-34899 in service on 1 January 1960 but they must have been converted after 1954 as those numbers don't show as hide cars in my 1954 freight car diagram book.

Jeff White

Alma, IL

On 12/7/2019 12:08 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Of much greater interest to me is this IC 50 foot box car has a 6 foot door! :-)

Tim O'

On 12/2/2019 11:56 AM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io wrote:

Photo: Bad Stencil Job

This is link to a photo from in the collection of the University of Utah:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s64q9921

Notice the tilted placement of the reweigh stencil. This could be my cover should I again botch a reweigh decal job...always a possibility.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts