Re: Photo: Alaska RR Flat Car 12812 With Load

Tim O'Connor

I didn't know that! So every Alaskan freight car on delivery had to be loaded
onto a cargo ship! Including this one in Los Angeles in 1958. :-)

On 12/7/2019 2:39 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 11:18 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Strangely I can find no ORER entry for the Alaska prior to 1965.
That's likely because the ARR didn't interchange with anyone, so no one in the 'lower 48' had any need for information on their car fleet. That changed in 1963 with the introduction of the Hydro Train barge service to Seattle. I imagine it took a while before they realized they should be listed in the ORER.

Dennis Storzek

Sterling, Massachusetts