Stencil: Heavy Repairs

Bob Chaparro

Stencil: Heavy Repairs

This is Illinois Central refrigerator car 93347. This car was built in 1916.

A stencil above the sill and to the left of the door reads, "Heavy Repairs McComb 9-28-25":

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-12-08-19/X4319.jpg

A stencil under the reporting marks indicates the car was reweighed the following month, probably very soon after the heavy repairs.

I can't say that I've seen a "Heavy Repairs" stencil before. Was this a common practice at some point or just an Illinois Central practice?

Two other interesting marks include a white dot and a circle with a X on the sill under the door.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA