Re: Stencil: Heavy Repairs

mel perry

what is interesting, is the "don't load"
(if that), one would assume that this
car should have been red tagged?
mel perry

On Sun, Dec 8, 2019, 3:07 PM Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Stencil: Heavy Repairs

This is Illinois Central refrigerator car 93347. This car was built in 1916.

A stencil above the sill and to the left of the door reads, "Heavy Repairs McComb 9-28-25":

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-12-08-19/X4319.jpg

A stencil under the reporting marks indicates the car was reweighed the following month, probably very soon after the heavy repairs.

I can't say that I've seen a "Heavy Repairs" stencil before. Was this a common practice at some point or just an Illinois Central practice?

Two other interesting marks include a white dot and a circle with a X on the sill under the door.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA