Re: SP/SSW "DF" loader symbol decal: Is the one"

Tim O'Connor

What the?? Tony, the letters were orange-yellow and the rest was black,
with an orange-yellow border - just as Bill Welch describes.

This was done nicely on Proto 2000 B-50-22 cars.

Photos of the style are extremely rare! :-(

The style did not last long, as seen in the photo of T&NO 70287. Black on yellow
was much more visible than yellow over black.

Tim O'Connor

On 12/15/2019 3:19 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
Bill Welch wrote:

I looked first on the Microscale website for the attached "DF" Loader symbol used by the SP and SSW and maybe others. Does anyone know if this is available anywhere? I think the "DF" and border are yellow. Can anyone advise the background, border and letter colors please?

     Background color was an orangish-yellow, as Norm Buckhart showed. This has been done in bright yellow by some manufacturers (incorrectly), but was once done right by Walthers in HO scale. Border and letters are black.
      If you have my SP boxcar book, the lettering drawing for this is on page 354.

Tony Thompson

Sterling, Massachusetts