Re: Seatrain Ships

Doug Pillow

Back in1971 I was an Able Seaman Cardeckman on the Seatrain Texas. We were running New York(Edgewater NJ) TO San Juan Puerto Rico. Each cardeckman had a deck of railroad cars and one track on the main deck. Each watch you had to check the chocks on each car and the turnbuckles on the tiedownson on each car.They were tightened as needed. The cars were winched to the main elevator for hoisting to main deck where they were craned off. A very interesting ship,she was old but stout built pre World War Two.

Doug